28 March 2012
Support our work: become a Friend of Statewatch from as little as £1/€1 per month.
"Handling codes used by Europol (like other police forces) raise interesting questions.
How are sources under C and D codes handled?
What if sources under C and D are
combined with reliability under no 4?
Evaluation codes (assessment of the source and of the information)
1. The source of the information shall be indicated as far as possible on the basis of the following criteria:
(A) Where there is no doubt of the authenticity, trustworthiness and competence of the source, or if the information is supplied by a source who, in the past, has proved to be reliable in all instances;
(B) Source from whom information received has in most instances proved to be reliable;
(C) Source from whom information received has in most instances proved to be unreliable;
(D) The reliability of the source cannot be assessed.
2. The reliability of the information shall be indicated as far as possible on the basis of the following criteria:
(1) Information whose accuracy is not in doubt;
(2) Information known personally to the source but not known personally to the official passing it on;
(3) Information not known personally to the source but corroborated by other information already recorded;
(4) Information which is not known personally to the source and cannot be corroborated.
Spotted an error? If you've spotted a problem with this page, just click once to let us know.
Statewatch does not have a corporate view, nor does it seek to create one, the views expressed are those of the author. Statewatch is not responsible for the content of external websites and inclusion of a link does not constitute an endorsement. Registered UK charity number: 1154784. Registered UK company number: 08480724. Registered company name: The Libertarian Research & Education Trust. Registered office: MayDay Rooms, 88 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1DH. © Statewatch ISSN 1756-851X. Personal usage as private individuals "fair dealing" is allowed. We also welcome links to material on our site. Usage by those working for organisations is allowed only if the organisation holds an appropriate licence from the relevant reprographic rights organisation (eg: Copyright Licensing Agency in the UK) with such usage being subject to the terms and conditions of that licence and to local copyright law.