28 March 2012
Support our work: become a Friend of Statewatch from as little as £1/€1 per month.
EU Returns Directive - background
Council of Europe: On eve of International Migrants Day, PACE committee head slams EU proposals for irregular migrants (press release, Strasbourg, 17.12.2007).
"An EU proposal to fix at 18 months the maximum period of detention for irregular migrants in Europe flies in the face of humanity, according to the Chair of the Migration Committee of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE)."
CoE PACE: Resolution (pdf) and Recommendations (pdf)
Standing Committee of experts (Utrecht) - Opinion (pdf) and see also: ECRE-AI letter (pdf)
Hearing with NGOs on the Return Directive, Wednesday, 12 December 2007, European Parliament, Strasbourg The Group GUE/NGL host key NGOs to debate the return directive and the future of European immigration policy: 17.00 hrs with Migreurop (European NGOs Network), European Conference of Churches (tbc), GISTI (France), CIRE (Belgium), Statewatch (EU civil liberties), ARCI (Italy), KERK IN ACTIE (Netherlands, tbc), CIMADE (France), PRO ASYL (Germany) (tbc) See also:
- No to the Outrageuous
Directive - Appeal to Members of the European Parliament (link)
- "State of play": For the rejection of the Directive: English (pdf) and French (pdf)
- Conference of European Churches - Press Release No.07-45/e 19 November 2007: CEC Central Committee concerned about administrative detention of migrants and re-entry ban in EU countires (pdf)
- Against the detention and forced removal of minors (link)
Proposal for a Directive on common standards and procedures in
Member States for returning illegally staying third-country nationals
- European Parliament draft Resolution for debate at plenary session (pdf)
- Statewatch analysis: The original EU Directive on return expulsion (Frances Webber analysis, April 2007)
- Statewatch analysis: Revising the proposed EU Expulsion Directive (Steve Peers analysis of German text, April 2007)
- House of Lords Select Committee on the EU: Illegal Migrants: proposals for a common EU returns policy (May 2006, pdf)
"Against the outrageous Directive!", full-text of speech given by Yasha Maccanico (Statewatch) at the hearing with NGOs organised by the GUE group, European Parliament, Strasbourg on 12 December 2007
© Statewatch ISSN 1756-851X.Material may be used providing the source is acknowledged. Statewatch does not have a corporate view, nor does it seek to create one, the views expressed are those of the author. Statewatch is not responsible for the content of external websites and inclusion of a link does not constitute an endorsement.
Spotted an error? If you've spotted a problem with this page, just click once to let us know.
Statewatch does not have a corporate view, nor does it seek to create one, the views expressed are those of the author. Statewatch is not responsible for the content of external websites and inclusion of a link does not constitute an endorsement. Registered UK charity number: 1154784. Registered UK company number: 08480724. Registered company name: The Libertarian Research & Education Trust. Registered office: MayDay Rooms, 88 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1DH. © Statewatch ISSN 1756-851X. Personal usage as private individuals "fair dealing" is allowed. We also welcome links to material on our site. Usage by those working for organisations is allowed only if the organisation holds an appropriate licence from the relevant reprographic rights organisation (eg: Copyright Licensing Agency in the UK) with such usage being subject to the terms and conditions of that licence and to local copyright law.