How to obtain or apply for documents in the EU

Support our work: become a Friend of Statewatch from as little as £1/€1 per month.

There are three ways to get documents from the main EU institutions - the European Commission, the Council of the European Union and the European Parliament: i) by applying in writing/fax/e-mail to the institution; ii) searching the institutions' public register of documents (currently only the Council has such a register, the Commission and European Parliament have until June 2002 to provide one) or iii) searching the main website of the institution.

European Parliament (link to the EP's home page) or contact: The Secretariat, European Parliament, Rue Wiertz, B.P.1047, B-1047, Bruxelles, Belgium  tel: 00 32 2 284 21 11  fax: 00 32 2 284 90 75

Commission (link to Commission's page on access to documents) or contact: Secretariat-General of the European Commission, Unit SG/C/2 "Europe and the Citizen 1", N-9, 2/11, rue de la Loi/Wetstraat 200, B-1049 Bruxelles, Belgium

Council (link to the Council's page on access which includes link to its public register of documents) or contact: The Secretary-General, Council of the European Union, 175 rue de la Loi, B-1048, Bruxelles, Belgium or e-mail:

If you need help or advice please contact: Statewatch by writing to: Statewatch, PO Box 1516, London N16 0EW, UK or you can ring us on: 00 44 208 802 1882 or send an e-mail to:

Back to Freedom of information in the EU

Our work is only possible with your support.
Become a Friend of Statewatch from as little as £1/€1 per month.


Spotted an error? If you've spotted a problem with this page, just click once to let us know.

Report error