Welcome to SEMDOC
The JHA agenda
Part of the JHA archive.
Week starting 26/03/2012
- 11736/97 - Implementation of Joint Action on the approximation of the laws and practices of police, customs services and judicial authorities in the fight against drug addiction and illegal drug trafficking
- A 100-page report with information from Member States on the implementation of EU drugs law and policy.(N.B. some responses in national languages)
- 8087/3/97 REV 3 - Confidentiality of CIREA documents
- A note from the Presidency to the Centre for Information, Discussion and Exchange on Asylum (CIREA) on issues related to the confidentiality (or not) of documents produced by the group.
- 2571-14r4 - European Union manual on controlled deliveries
- A 136-page manual outlining practice and procedure on controlled deliveries in the European Union Member States (and other countries). Controlled delivery is a technique used by law enforcement agencies whereby carriers of drugs are identified, but their arrest and the seizure of narcotics is postponed "with a view to following the route taken and identifying those involved in initiation and or distribution of the consignment... Postponement is justified by the potential for more significant prosecution and greater damage to trafficking networks."
- SCH/I (97) 36 rev. 5 - Draft Schengen manual on police cooperation in maintaining public order and security
- "The purpose of this manual is to foster cooperation between the Schengen States with regard to the maintenance of public order and security… Cooperation pursuant to this manual shall apply, inter alia, to events where large numbers of persons from more than one country congregate in one or more Schengen States and where the main purpose of the police presence is to maintain public order and security and prevent criminal offences. Examples of these are sports events, rock concerts, demonstrations or road bloackades. This cooperation shall not be confined to large-scale events but can also apply to the movements and activites of concentrations of persons, regardless of size, which may pose a threat to public order and security."
- 6/95 - Decision on measures to protect classified information
- Deals with the procedures for classifying documents, and the different levels of classification, introduced after the entry into force of the Treaty on European Union (Maastricht Treaty).
- 7747/96 - Draft Resolution laying down the priorities for cooperation in the field of justice and home affairs for the period from 1 July 1996 to 30 June 1998
- Contains a useful chart (page 8 onwards) detailing the different issues on which Member States intended to base their cooperation.
- 7296/96 - Explanatory report on the Convention on simplified extradition procedure between the Member States of the European Union
- 1999/C 19/01 - Action plan of the Council and the Commission on how best to implement the provisions of the Treaty of Amsterdam on an area on Freedom, Security and Justice
- Document detailing the spirit with which the Amsterdam Treaty was adopted and the meaning of the values of freedom, security and justice. "These three inseparable concepts have one common denominator 'people' and one cannot be achieved in full without the other two. Maintaining the right balance between them must be the guiding thread for Union action".
- 8035/97 - Council Act drawing up, on the basis of Article K.3 of the Treaty on European
Union and Article 41 (3) of the Europal Convention, the Protocol on the privileges
and immunities of Europal. the members of its organs, the Deputy Directors and
employees of Europol
- Council Act regulating the nature and the extent of the immunities enjoyed by Europol, its members and employees and considered as "necessary for the performance of their tasks".
- 6503/97 - Council Decision on the exchange of information concerning assistance for the voluntary repatriation of third -country nationals
- Member States where voluntary return programmes have been developed shall report about them annually to the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU which will then share with other Member States and the Commission information on returnees (assistance granted, effects of the programme, nature of the programme).
- 8012/97 - Joint Action adopted by the Council on the basis of Article K.3 of the Treaty on European Union with regard to cooperation on law and order and security
- Police and judicial cooperation plan amongst Member State during "events taken in a broad sense" such as demonstations or sporting events. Includes exachange of information (UK and the Netherlands initiative).
Week starting 12/03/2012
- 5374/95 - Racism and xenophobia - Final report
- A report by the K.4 Committee on issues of racism and xenophobia in the EU. The first section deals with migration as a potential source of racism and xenophobia, with the authors apparently of the view that racism is the fault of migrants, not racists: "Succesful efforts to combat illegal immigration, even if not originally undertaken with the fight against racism and xenophobia primarily in mind, can in practice contribute significantly to this fight." Further sections address police and customs cooperation and discrepancies between Member States' laws.
- 8221/95 - Improved use of the instrument under Title VI of the Treaty establishing the European Union
- The Treaty on European Union provided the possibility of using new legal instruments - common positions and joint actions - to the EU. This document discusses the reluctance of Member States to use them due to disagreements over their scope, and outlines the nature of each type of instrument in question.
- 11767/95 - Draft Council Recommendation on concerted action and cooperation in carrying out expulsion measures
- Outlines the provisions agreed on increased cooperation between EU Member States in the deportation/expulsion of third-country nationals deemed to be residing unlawfully.
- 11283/95 - Draft explanatory report on the Convention on simplified extradition procedure between the Member States of the European Union
- See also 11712/95 for the Draft Council conclusions on extradition.
- 11472/95 - Adoption of the La Gomera declaration on terrorism
- A short declaration made following the informal meeting of JHA ministers in La Gomera, in the Canary Islands, on 14 October 1995.
- SCH/Com-ex (98) 12 - Decision of the Executive Committee regarding the quartely exchange of statistical data concerning issued and denied short term visa, transit visa (in German)
- This decision prefigures the creation of the Visa Information System, although only short term visas are concerned here, long before the VIS was created.
- 14414/98 ADD 1 - German Presidency programme for external relations in the field of Justice and Home Affairs
- This document details the purpose of EU's external action, underpinned by the seek for security and stability in its neighbourhood and beyond to ensure internal security. This will later be labeled as the "external aspects of the Internal Security Strategy"
- 10510/94 - Draft Resolution of the Council of the European Union on a further improvement in security at external borders
- This document emphasises the importance of cooperation between EU countries (e.g. bilateral agreements allowing the deployment of liaison officers at external borders; systematic monitoring of carrier's respect of entry rules in the EU for third country nationals) and with EU structures (CIREFI, to ensure security at EU's external borders. Cooperation with third countries to address irregular immigration is also mentioned.
Week starting 05/03/2012
Go back to the JHA archive search page.